Wednesday, April 9

Cheer up

I'm continuing with the same story arc from the last two strips. I thought I keep the storyline alive for another week. I've been so used to doing stand-alone strips, that I thought doing this would be a good thing.

As for technique, I kind of hurried a bit on this one. Let's just say I'm starting to forget what sleep feels like. I did try to incorporate some depth into the art by doing cross hatching. I think it definitely makes a difference. Anyway, keep looking for continued improvement!

Kevin

(click to enlarge)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice work man. i like how you decided to end it in the third panel. and the use of b&w shading does add a lot of depth to the characters.

reading that book, it talks about using only b&w to make sure the characters complement each other, such as riley wear a white shirt and tim wear a black shirt, so there's contrast in our characters.

and i'm sure tim doesn't represent a real person you know, cause that would never happen. haha!

D Wheezy said...

Yeah - good job man. I like the cross hatching quite a bit. Good stuff.

One thing that a lot of old school traditional cartoonists use for shading is something called "dots." After I brief Google search I found this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz228/97h/

This way you can gray or darken up areas (like a character's shirt) without using a ton of ink or time, and it looks really consistent and nice.

Lance said...

The cross-hatching does make the b/w characters look better. Its also funny to have a comic I can relate to, unlike johnny's where everyone's all happy.

Anonymous said...

what can i say, i want to live in a fantasy world where i have a girl and lots of friends. alas, i wake up to this...

D Wheezy said...

Well at least Jurassic Fight Club is real...